Only have nine minutes for a quick post. Am now in Rijeka, Croatia. After a nice stay in Trieste -- visited a few Joyce monuments, etc -- I'm now thoroughly enjoying the coastal regions of Croatia. The bus ride from Trieste to Rijeka alone was superb. The Slovenian mountains and lush tree- and landscapes are a naturalist's dream. After the bus got off the autobahn and headed to Opatija, Croatia, I was greated with a mountain-top view of the Adriatic and fought feelings of bus-sickness as we weaved down the mountain side to Opatija proper. Thankfully, the bus driver was new, so he was cautious while driving.
It's been raining in Trieste for the past two days. It is raining here in Rijeka, as well, and I don't expect the weather to get much better. Tomorrow, I will journey to Pula. Saturday, I will either walk or take a bus to Opatija (16 km from Rijeka) to check out the coast some more and try to score some pizza at a place that Ben recommended. I need to keep practicing my limited Croatian. Whenever I open my mouth, my instinct is to speak German. Don't quite know how to curb that habit just yet. At least the tourist info woman took it in stride, and just spoke to me in German.
All right. Time is running out at this Internet bar. Off to the citz center for some pizza, hopefully, at Delfino. Not quite used to a slovak-based keyboard, so I apologize for any switched y's and z's.
Doviđenja.
No comments:
Post a Comment