Am now waiting at the Vienna airport for my delayed flight to Dublin. VIE has FREE wi-fi, which is something I wish American airports picked up on.
Yesterday, I got to have coffee and breakfast with Diana one last time before leaving Austria. We took some time to find a new Moleskin for me and stop by the Post before my train to Bruck an der Leitha. There was work on the tracks from Donnerskirchen to Wulkaprodersdorf, and so I had to take an Autobus from Eisenstadt to Purchbach am See, then catch the small trainlet to Neusiedl am See, then hope on the train to Vienna to make it to Bruck. Was five minutes late in meeting Birgit, but no worries.
Had a delightful 'Jause' with Birgit at her apartment. We caught up on Pannoneum news and I gave suggestions as to what she and Mannfred can do when they visit NYC and the upper East Coast in July and August. I'm so happy that they will be able to visit the United States! Birgit has been talking about this trip for so long. It's just a shame that she'll miss the Bon Jovi concert in NYC by one day. Schade.
Returned to Vienna via the train. The Suedbahnhof has a lot of extra employees/volunteers to help the hundreds and thousands of Fussball fans navigate throughout the city. My plan was to walk around the Ringstrasse in the evening. Instead, I was pretty tired, so I went back to the hostel, then hit up the Saturn media shop in Columbusplatz. Picked up some Revolverheld, Wir Sind Helden, and an unplugged Christina Stuermer album. Spent a little more than anticipated, but at least I was able to stick to my 'buying within the continent rule' while music shopping. Was able to utilize a Bankomat that accepted MasterCard.
Returned to the hostel, and was relieved to find that Andree, one of my roommates, wanted to watch the football matches on the TV in our shared room. She's from Romania and is currently working for a company in Vienna. She speaks Hungarian, Romanian (her mother is from Hungary), English, and Hochduetsch. Our conversation was an interesting toggle between German and English, but it was fun to talk politics, immigration, and travel with her throughout the snoozer of a null-null Romania v. France match. The Netherlands v. Italy match was, indeed, a Krieg (war) to witness. Italy's stellar defense couldn't hold back the Dutch offense. Italy's offense has talent, but it just wasn't their night with Netherlands' spot-on goalie.
All right. Must conserve some battery power. Hopefully we'll be boarding soon. Yes! The green light just came on. Super!
No comments:
Post a Comment