Thursday, June 3, 2010

Land of the misfit pegs


Dear Saudi Arabia,

I hope that this blog entry finds you well. It's at this time, that I write to you to share with you a realization that my pea-sized brain and pride has failed to fully acknowledge until now: I don't fit your system.

Yes, dear Kingdom, you have allowed me the opportunity to live and work inside your walls; I am grateful. Yes, dear Kingdom, I have learned much about your language, people, religion, and societal structure; however, my brain took a pretty bad dive last week when it reached MAX CAPACITY in trying to absorb the surreal nature of my life here. Let's face it, your system works as long as everyone within the system abides by the parameters of the system. But when a square cog, like myself, enters into a circular system with a different set of pre-installed parameters and a supplemental assumed plan to anticipate parameter transition transfer, it all goes to pot.

Despite best efforts at an optimistic output and attempts to try to sandpaper square edges, this cog has become frustrated, angry, confused, bitter, and disillusioned. I don't like to admit defeat when I know success is possible; however, this life is finite. As such, I will stop my pained labors to try to show you that I can fit in your system. If the system were static and non discriminating, maybe we could have come to some accord. Unfortunately, the system is dynamic and discerning based on gender, race, religious affiliation, and socio-economic status. In your defense, I cannot guarantee that I will fit back in to my homeland's system, which has similar issues. I'm a square peg in either region, but somehow, the holes seem a bit more square-like at home. The path of least resistance beckons me there.

Yours sincerely,

Monique
Honored Guest

No comments: