"Don't be misled - you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit. So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone - especially to those in the family of faith." - Galations 6:7-10
Months ago, I relinquished a taxing friendship over to God. As a human being, I do not have a never-ending well of grace the way in which God does, and so I asked Him to watch over and protect her, to be faithful to her. I've tried to stay out of what I perceive and know to be an unhealthy cesspool of a marriage that she underwent, but I keep getting sucked into the undertow of it all, even when my toes are on dry land.
Today, I was asked to be a support to her as she finalizes her divorce tomorrow. When approached by these askers, I balked severely, explaining to them, "We are not good friends anymore. I don't talk to her." Despite my frank words, they said to me, "But she needs someone to support her."
Sucker that I am, their words got under my skin after they left my apartment, and I found myself pacing in 40-degree C weather in the outdoor breezeway that separates our apartments, deliberating whether I should offer support. Compassion overcame my self-surviving instinct, and I knocked on her door to take the opportunity that God has nudged my way -- to support someone who needs help, to do the good for someone else that God asks us to do.
God, I don't know why you are giving me this opportunity; you know that I'm not strong enough to fight the current and undertow that is her. I have no moral or logic authority over her. Why have you picked me to go to that courthouse tomorrow? I know that you are always faithful to us. I put my trust in you; I trust that tomorrow will be a fruitful day of severance and reconciliation.
No comments:
Post a Comment