Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bist du Studentin?


Yesterday, I stayed late at school, waiting for a busy Mr. AM to get back from the airport. It was nearly 45 degrees outside, and so I found some shade alongside the wall of the wheelchair ramp and discretely took pictures of the flowers at the student entrance to the university.

I had just put my camera away when a student, with Interior Design project in a huge plastic bag in hand, came out to wait for her brother. Her English was really good and I didn't detect much of an accent at first. With her over-the-head abaya and face covering, I saw that her skin was a darker brown than most of the Saudi girls and I thought, "Do we have American students that are in ID?"

So much for dual assumptions (later, I found out that she's Indian), because the first thing she said to me was, "Are you a professor here? Or are you, like, a student?"

I laughed politely and said, "It's hard to tell without my name badge, isn't it? But yes, I'm a teacher."

Girl: I'm so sorry. I see you around the university all the time. I always thought you were a student.

I laugh.

Girl: No, no. You should take that as a compliment.

Our conversation continued, and I asked her about her ID project. She told me that she had designed a kiosk for Pablo Picasso. Not knowing for sure what a kiosk was (other than in a mall or ATM context), I casually said, "Oh, that's great. Did you focus on his Blue Period?"

Girl: Uhh. I hate Picaso now.

Me: Oh, you shouldn't say that. His Blue Period is my favorite. He really captures people as they are, unlike the Cubist works.

Girl: I don't really get the Cube stuff. (looks at me puzzled) How do you know about his stuff? Are you, like, a follower?

Me: (chuckling) No. I just studied art and literature in college. I don't know much about his paintings, trust me. I just like the Spanish Civil War-influenced art.

Girl: The what?

Me: The time when - well, nevermind. It's not important (spotting my driver); I've got to go.

Girl: (sees a Toyota Innova pull up) Is that your dad? (Bear in mind that Mr. AM is a 50 year-old Saudi gentleman who wears prayer cap and thobe during working hours.)

Me: (a bit puzzled at first) Oh no. Just a driver. My dad's not here.

Girl: (completely shocked) You're not here with your family?!

Me: No. Just me.

Girl: Ah. Cool. My brother's here. Gotta go. What's your office number? Can I visit you?


Long story short, this weird exchange is representative of a more common reaction to interacting with strangers asking about my family status. The girl, pleasant yet discontent with her studies and life in Saudi as a foreigner as she sounds, is very curious about life without family. Apparently, she had an opportunity to study medicine in Jeddah, but turned it down a week before the term started because she didn't want to be so far away from her family. When she asked me in my office today how I could stand being away from my family, my simple response was, "Ten years of practice."

No comments: