Friday, October 22, 2010

Lost in translation: Vocabulary notebook blunders (Week 5)

helicopter (n) - We see a helicopter in the Playstaion. - The student gives some insight to his leisure activities.

blood (n) -

Student 1 - My brother blood's is too red. - I wonder if this student is trying to communicate the opposite of someone who is anemic?

Student 2 - I don't like to see a blood. - Me neither!

Student 3 - I cut my fingre, so the blood go out. - Getting a bit British with his -re endings.

desert (n) - Badu live in the desert. - Yes, Bedouins live in the desert.

ride (v) - I can't ride a horse. - I hope it's not your life-long dream, buddy.

local (adj) - The juice is local. - Of all things to boast as local, I never thought juice would be it.

bat (n; wooden stick) - The bat goest out at night. - If we're talking a night game for baseball, then sure.

virgin (n; a person especially a girl or woman) She is a butiful virgin. - I wonder if the word 'virgin' is only feminine in Arabic, much like in German).

gunshot (n) In Eraq (Iraq) you can lesten the gunshots. - And I hope you never have to hear those gunshots.

No comments: