Friday, November 27, 2009

Eid Mubarak

Have been in Muscat for four days now and am continuing to enjoy the diversity and ex-pat comforts that this capital has to offer. Things I like about Muscat:

1. Diversity -- Omani men and women work in the service industry, not just Filipino men
2. Greenery -- parades of short and stocky palm trees line the highways
3. People speak Arabic -- got to use my Arabic at the Old Souq to bargain for a good price on Frankincense for a colleague
4. Colorful thobes -- although the men look like a pack of fruit variety marshmallows, I'm taking a liking to the Omani thobes. The head covers are vibrant, colorful, and stay on their heads. None of this twitching with a guttrah.
5. Autonomy -- three women + one VW Polo = ability to traverse wherever we go
6. Traditional architecture -- traditional geometric grid and tile work adorn the buildings, with the solid traditional wooden doors: classy.

One drawback to Muscat is that it is more expensive than Saudi. But, I'm on holiday...

No comments: