Saturday, November 28, 2009

Clammin' it up!

Went to the beach yesterday for a walk about and small picnic. Something I realized once we arrived at the beach -- two hexagenerians and a 27 year-old don't necessarily view the possibilities of the beach in the same way. The first beach we went to had neither a space for my companions to sit down comfortably and still have a chance of getting up nor hard-packed sand for them to comfortably walk on, so we got back into the VW Polo and headed farther West where the fishing boats are kept. Was a decent compromise, but I hope to return to the beach again by myself before we leave, so that I can explore it more fully.

Although my companions are limited physically due to their age, the life experience in their heads is worth its weight in gold. While I waded along the edge of the water, I noticed small holes forming in the muddy sand with expired air and water coming out of them. Having never seen them before, I asked B what they were. She explained to me that they are clam holes, and the clams suck in the sea water to filter food into their tummies. Thinking that I might be killing them by walking on their air holes, I treaded carefully along the beach. B told me not to worry, that they are pretty resilient creatures. For the rest of the time we were at the beach, I carefully observed their breathing patterns. My hands were full, and so I wasn't able to take any video footage of their respiration behavior. Tomorrow, I hope to explore the beach on my own and see what's the hubbub first-hand. How grateful I am to have experienced this small natural wonder and for it to give me such joy!

No comments: