Today is Halloween in North America and other parts of the world that officially recognize it. For me, it's just another day here in nondescript weather and sand. It's still 31 degrees or more outside during the day and early evening, but maybe 17 degrees in my office and classrooms. With no trick-or-treaters banging on my door or blatant advertising prepping me for this holiday since mid-August, I completely blanked that today is in fact Halloween and that All Saints' Day will be tomorrow. I've shared with colleagues before that I have no concept of time here in KSA. I have yet to internalize any feeling that a holiday is pending, mostly because I don't know what the priming visuals are for the Eids. Well, I can get a good idea when it comes to Ramadan since most of the shops stay open until 2AM and people are fasting during the day, but not so much for next month's Eid. Are there certain colors to be associated with this holiday? Special foods to prepare? Songs (although probably haram) to be heard? Hmmm. I'll have to be extra observant on this one.
"Relativity"
Time strides on, minute by minute -
No discernible weight assigned to each.
Blissful moments lighten our load, whisking us upward in their momentum.
Mournful moments pull our feet, meter by meter through Jupiter's gravity.
Poignant moments flash at us like still photographs.
We scramble to catch the light.
my
No comments:
Post a Comment