All right. Blog resolution no.1 -- don't feel compelled to account for everything. That's what my black Moleskin is for, not this interface. Sonya, I'm sorry that I haven't been able to keep things up to speed here. To absolve myself, here are some tidbits.
The flight from Chicago to Dublin was okay, if not a little turbulent. Upon waiting at the gate, I started to dread the flight as there were two large tour groups traveling to Ireland. It's always my luck that I encounter either a school, mid-life crisis, or country of destination enthusiasts group when traveling. Usually, I find these groups extremely annoying in that they're loud and super self-confident, yet at the same time scared to travel alone. This time around, though, I wasn't bothered too much. I got to watch I am Legend and Margot at the Wedding during the flight. Attempted to watch I Could Never Be Your Woman, but the flight had ended by the time the plot really thickened. Typical.
In Dublin, I noticed a few changes at the airport. There are now a lot of workers outside of the entrances to help travelers find the right bus to use to get to the city center. It took maybe 35 minutes to get to O'Connell St. and find my hoste -- nice. The Bunkhouse Hostel is good for three reasons: 1) cleanliness, 2) proximity to the Airlink stop on O'Connell St., and 3) it's only a 2-minute walk from the James Joyce Cultural Center.
While in Dublin, I was able to stop by the National Library to see which Irish author is featured for this summer's author series. It was a bit disappointing to see that the Yeats exhibit that I explored last summer was still there. It's Yeats, though, so all is forgiven.
Checked out St. Patrick's Cathedral. Usually it is 6 Euros to enter into the cathedral and check everything out, but I didn't get there until 5:30PM (30 min. before closing), so the attendants just let me in. I find it a never-ending push-pull syndrome when I tour immaculate cathedrals. The handiwork of the artisans that shaped its beauty truly does inspire the spirit, but I can't help but think how ostentatious it all really is. God dwells in the simplest of abodes, not just the rich.
Spent some time in St. Stephen's Green watching some teenagers try their strength at rock jumping. A little bizarre, yet highly entertaining.
At the James Joyce Cultural Center, I was able to sign up for some walking tours and programs for Bloomsday. I'm really excited to go to the Joycean Music program. Nerd alert? Yes, indeed so.
I left Dublin early yesterday morning and arrived in Vienna at around noon. D. and her mother picked me up from the airport, which was really nice of them since they live at least 45 km from Wien. After a good Austrian lunch, d. and I walked around Rust for a bit and hit up a Hueriger. It was the first time in about 2 years since I've been able to have Welschriesling wine. It's such a great wine to have in the spring and summer, especially with weisse Spargel (white asparagus).
This morning, d. and I went to Sopron, Hungary to do some vegetable shopping at the open market there. After a good deal on some eggs and a close-call with parking control, we headed to TESCO to see what items Hungary offers, yet Austria doesn't. I was able to pick up some coffee packets for a.h. and a can of Radler (beer with Almdudler mixed in). I was surprised to see what Hungary is still on the Forint, since I thought the newly accepted EU countries from a few years ago (Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, etc.) were to be on the Euro completely by 2007. Must do some research on that front. Also, there is no longer passport control at the Hungarian/Austrian border. No H stamp for me this time. Schade.
This afternoon, d. and I went to Möbisch to walk around Nesiedler See and let Chester (d.'s dog), run for a bit. Unfortunately, most of the park was closed off, which was weird. We were still able to see some good sights, though. The beach grass is absolutely gorgeous and surprisingly majestic when the wind blows it just so.
Aside receiving news about a.c.'s suicide this past Monday, it's been a pretty good trip so far. I hope to go to Vienna for his memorial later this weekend. It's just so hard to process that he took his own life since he was living out his dream -- extending his stay in Austria, studying in a German-speaking country, and finally having a good, steady, relationship. I can't imagine how m. is dealing with everything and making the arrangements for a.c. to go back to Ohio for the actual funeral. Whatever made a.c. so deeply sad, I hope that it is now gone and that he has found peace in the next life. I miss watching him roll cigarettes in small cafes and talking about AbFab. The last time I saw him was at one of the bus stops in Eisenstadt after having frozen pizza at his house with the frogs in the garden. I never thought it would be the last time I would see him. I miss you, a. I really do.
Well, it's about that time to take a shower and head to bed. Tomorrow, d. and I will meet up with her neighbor and daughter. No running sushi this time, but hopefully some good coffee and conversation. My German is slowly coming back. There are still a lot of gaps, but not as bad as I thought it would be.
No comments:
Post a Comment