Yesterday, I got a chance to spend time with a sweet 4 year-old Austrian girl from Eisenstadt. I had met her grandmother the evening before, so it wasn't fraternization with random small children. D. made a fire for us, and we roasted Würtzl (hot dogs) over the flames and cooked small potatoes in foil underneath. For a four year-old, m. is really sharp. I helped her dig a hole in the compost (not sure why she wanted to do this, because it smelled really bad), played a balance walk game on the garden hose, and picked flowers to decorate my Nalgene bottle with.
Earlier in the day, I got to go to the Metzger (butcher) with d. and her mother. If you're a vegetarian, never enter a Fleisherei. I was amazed at the efficiency of the cutters and shop attendants. I imagine that when they go home, they smell of chicken and pork. We picked up some schnitzel cuts for today's Weiner Schnitzel lunch. Ausgezeichnet!
Today has been pretty low key. I was able to solidify travel plans for Italy and figure out bus opportunities for Rijeka and Pula, Croatia. It looks as if I'll have to make Pula a day trip from Rijeka. That's okay, though. I'll still be able to check out the amphitheater and water there. Woo-hoo!
Tomorrow, I will head to Vienna to check out the roses in the Volksgarten, walk around Schloss Belvedere, hit up Stephansdom, and walk about the Ringstrasse. I haven't had a chance to catch up in the black Moleskin, so I hope to do a lot of writing tomorrow...in a Viennese cafe, of course!
Highlight of the day -- a one-hour walk around Rust. You can find many interesting things in this village without even trying!
No comments:
Post a Comment