There is a personal trainer at the health club that I recently joined who has a name that is somewhat ambiguous. By ambiguous, I mean that the name could be either an Islamic name or a Christian name. Although many people here ask strangers within three minutes of meeting them what their religious affiliations are, it's still a hard cultural sell for me to do, so I assume that everyone is Muslim. Even though the trainer is not Arab, I assume he's Muslim anyway, so I was surprised when making an appointment with him to show me how to use the machines for the last muscle group in my rotation, he seemed surprised/interested in the fact that I was making church a priority on that day (I had explained that I could only meet in the late evening because of church service). Also, during said session, he asked how church went, which church complex I went to, etc. To which he related that he had gone to church there once. The way he said this made me think that he didn't like the service, so didn't go back. I chided myself for assuming that he was Muslim when it seemed like he was Christian, but maybe just a brother who shies away from services.
Later the following week, I met with my peer Bible study group, and our focus was Peter 3:15:
Our practical challenge for the week was to take some time with God for prayer and guidance to write a testimony of our faith that might be used by God to communicate His love and lordship to others. Two days later, I found myself in a Muslim colleague's office for 90 minutes explaining the history and faith convictions of Mennonite and Amish Anabaptists, a conversation prompted by his request for me to explain to him what the Camino de Santiago is and its purpose for me. No joke. The conversation was, indeed, gentle and respectful -- on both sides, and I was grateful to be an instrument in those moments.
Although the Bible study challenge was specifically talking about witnessing to non-Christians, I felt compelled to invite the personal trainer to our Bible study group as an invitation for brotherly/sisterly fellowship. So, on my way out of the gym facility, I worked up the courage to invite the trainer to the study. In response, his gaze went sideways and his voice said, "Uh, actually..." I knew what was coming. I knew that he was going to say something like, "I'm Christian, but more in the nominal sense. Saturday night Bible study sounds like a real snoozer, and I'd rather spend my days off not talking about the Word with a bunch of strangers." But he didn't.
Instead, he said, "...I'm Muslim."
My hand shot up to my mouth to cover the sharp (and audible) intake of breath that I gave. I felt really embarrassed and recovered with, "I'm sorry, I misunderstood."
The moments that followed were those of awkwardness and avoidance of direct eye contact. In trying to make me feel better, he explained that sometimes his Christian friend invites him to church and he goes if he feels like it since he grew up aware of church and temple traditions. We exchanged good evening pleasantries and see you tomorrows. The whole exchange was gentle and respectful, but I still felt like a complete schmuck.
On the way to my car, though, I thought, "But why should I feel like a schmuck?"
Later the following week, I met with my peer Bible study group, and our focus was Peter 3:15:
But in your hearts, revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. (NIV)
Our practical challenge for the week was to take some time with God for prayer and guidance to write a testimony of our faith that might be used by God to communicate His love and lordship to others. Two days later, I found myself in a Muslim colleague's office for 90 minutes explaining the history and faith convictions of Mennonite and Amish Anabaptists, a conversation prompted by his request for me to explain to him what the Camino de Santiago is and its purpose for me. No joke. The conversation was, indeed, gentle and respectful -- on both sides, and I was grateful to be an instrument in those moments.
Although the Bible study challenge was specifically talking about witnessing to non-Christians, I felt compelled to invite the personal trainer to our Bible study group as an invitation for brotherly/sisterly fellowship. So, on my way out of the gym facility, I worked up the courage to invite the trainer to the study. In response, his gaze went sideways and his voice said, "Uh, actually..." I knew what was coming. I knew that he was going to say something like, "I'm Christian, but more in the nominal sense. Saturday night Bible study sounds like a real snoozer, and I'd rather spend my days off not talking about the Word with a bunch of strangers." But he didn't.
Instead, he said, "...I'm Muslim."
My hand shot up to my mouth to cover the sharp (and audible) intake of breath that I gave. I felt really embarrassed and recovered with, "I'm sorry, I misunderstood."
The moments that followed were those of awkwardness and avoidance of direct eye contact. In trying to make me feel better, he explained that sometimes his Christian friend invites him to church and he goes if he feels like it since he grew up aware of church and temple traditions. We exchanged good evening pleasantries and see you tomorrows. The whole exchange was gentle and respectful, but I still felt like a complete schmuck.
On the way to my car, though, I thought, "But why should I feel like a schmuck?"
No comments:
Post a Comment