Sunday, February 26, 2012

Roaches in the shower

As you may know, since the day that I moved into this apartment nearly 18 months ago, I've been battling roaches -- big ones -- throughout the place.  I've tired roach spray as a deterrent.  I've killed many with my flip flops when I see one or two scuttle across the floor.  I've tried confining them to the bathrooms.  Yet of all the attempts at defense, the best has been drain stoppers and drain covers.  After thorough personal anecdotal research and listening to other colleagues' gripes about their roach problems, it was decided that the shower and sink drains are where they were mostly coming from; thus, the stoppers working the best at keeping them at bay.

Despite all the precautions and murders, it finally happened -- a roach officially crawled on my skin.  I was in the shower last week, and I made sure the hot water was on since I was returning from the Staff Club pool (which was about 27C).  Out of habit, I wear shower shoes, and so they came in handy when, while I was rinsing, I felt this small sensation of twitching on the top of my left foot.  I thought it was just the hot water combining with my cold skin.  But then, the sensation became stronger and more prolonged.  I look down and, sure enough, a 3-inch long roach is trying to get its bearings on the top of my foot as the water trickles down.  I start to swear and am so grateful for the shower shoes because I can simply just pick up my foot and stomp it to death.  However, I'm so repulsed, that this doesn't even feel like a blessing.  I turn off the water, grab scads of toilet paper from the roll, collect the carcass, then put it in the lidded trash bin.  I return to the shower and then proceed to use an extra amount of Lifebouy liquid soap on the area in which the roach had defiled my skin.  

American summer holiday -- you can't come soon enough!


2 comments:

scy said...

oh my, monique! that sends shivers down my spine and reminds me of when i broke andy and em's toilet seat trying to lean across it with a flip flop to kill a huge one i had just seen out of the corner of my eye. i will have to suggest to her the drain stopper! yuck.

CricketPE said...

Ewwwwwww