Sunday, September 18, 2011

Students return

I've been pokey about posting over the summer. I've been so pokey that, much to my bewilderment, Blogger has changed its interface. I like the new spartan feel of the posting space, but, like any new thing, it's a bit disorienting. Regardless, today I report on the return of students to the Language Centre after being away for nearly 6 weeks for summer holiday. I share with you a few quotes and exchanges from today:

Hallway Meeting
M and his friend (from Rustaq) are in the ground level hallway as I come out of a colleague's office.

M and friend (together): Hi, Miss!

 Me: Hi, M. Hi, friend. (to M's friend) - Hey, did you get taller?

 Friend (smiling): No, Miss. I don't think so.

 M: Maybe it is you, Miss, who got smaller.

 Me: Oh, you think, huh? (we all laugh)



On learning that his IELTS subscore for Reading is below the cut-off to place him in credit-level courses, thus delaying the start of his academic schedule by one full semester

N, a former student in my elementary writing class from Block 2 of last year, sits across from me at my desk in my shared teaching office. There are no other teachers in the office at the time. I have just given him advice and a pep talk about the advantages of taking Level 5 and 6 Science English courses in the Foundation Programme.

N: Miss, I am so happy to see you today. When I saw you today in hallway, I felt relieved. (He puts his hand over his heart and gives a confirmed nod of his head).

Me: Really? I'm sorry you felt so bad earlier, N. Trust me, you will be a stronger student by taking Levels 5 & 6.

N: It was bad earlier, but now I feel better. I feel relief. Thank you, Miss.



On learning that his photo made it on the cover of an in-house textbook

S, a former student from Block 2 of last year, sits across from me at my desk. I have just given him a copy of the most recent edition of the Level 2 Study Skills coursebook, which a colleague and I co-authored last spring.

Me: Look, S. There you are on the cover. Twice!

S: (Giving a big smile and nearly blushing) Masha'allah (God protect). I made cover.

Me: That's not all. Turn to page 27.

He flips to the page and finds a snapshot of himself embedded in a reading text exercise.

S: The smile is good.

Me: Yes! Very beautiful. You have such a fabulous smile.

S: My cousin, he is taking Level 2 this year. I told him that once he finish with the book, to give it to me. Now, all people in my village will know me.

Me: You're famous!

S: Thank you, Miss.


On the fact that I'm still not married
S, his friend, and another former male student are hanging out at my desk in my teaching office. Behind me, on a corkboard, I have pictures of infants and babies that my friends from college had over the past year.

S: Whose baby is that, Miss?

Me: (I look behind me to see which picture he's referring to.) That is the baby of my friend. His name is J. Now, he is 7 months old. And that one -- that is my friend P and her son, C. He is 6 months now. All of my friends at home are having babies. When I go home again, I will meet these new people. I don't have any babies though. No new people for me! (I say the last sentence with a laugh).

S: (He stops smiling, then looks serious). Yes, you are not married. I remember.

The mood suddenly changes between the four of us, as the all the boys now look serious. To break the mood, I say, "Insha'allah (God willing), I will get married."

S: (Brightening) Maybe by next summer.

Me: Next summer?! Wooaahhhh! That quickly?

S: That is quick? (He says this in an honest and surprised voice.)

Me: (laughing) Yes, that is quick. For me, I first need to -- well, I think things are different for me than you. America and Oman are a little different. (I give a small laugh again).


Oh, students!  How I've missed you so!  My sister can vouch that I was in a really negative mood yesterday.  I'm grateful to God for sending me all these wonderful young gentlemen to lift up my spirits.  Truly, they are all blessings.

3 comments:

CricketPE said...

Speaking of pictures of friend's babies; did I ever send you Caelum's birth announcement? I doubt it; I have yet to finish his thank you cards even and I was sending them with those, lol. I'm terrible... So, you should send your address and I can mail you one :)

Monique said...

@CricketPE - Was the birth announcement the one with you in a party hat? Or was that a preggers announcement? I can't remember. If you meant to send a photo of Caelum, though, I don't think you did. I will email you my mailing address for here in Oman.

CricketPE said...

No, the birth announcement was AFTER he was born. Please do send me your address! I've been terrible about sending the announcements out :(