Today's agenda for Prague -- visit the castle behind our hostel and explore the Museum of Communism (which is near the MacDonald's at Wencelas Square -- irony?). According to the brochure, the museum explores the idealism, reality, and 'nightmare' of communism. I'm curious to see how this compares to the KGB museum in Vilnius. If it's anything like that one, I'll have a buzz kill for the rest of the day.
We visited St. Vitus cathedral yesterday afternoon. While staring up at the frescos, I couldn't help but wonder how well or not-so-well maintained the cathedral was during the Soviet regime. If religion is the opium of the masses and should be suppressed, then how is Czech Republic able to keep its cathedrals and churches looking so spectacular? On a side note, I didn't realize that it took nearly 600 years to complete St. Vitus! No need to argue over carpet swatches if the church is going to outlive you ten times over...
No comments:
Post a Comment