Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ein Tipp von Richard Wright

In Richard Wright's critically acclaimed novel, Native Son, the protagonist, Bigger, thinks to himself how divine it would be if he could simply wave his hand over a conflict or problematic situation he was experiencing and 'blot it out,' as if to make it disappear, to silence it.

How fabulous this power would be at this moment for me. With so much on my plate right now, I really do want to raise my hand and wave it over every demand and blot them out from existence, to see nothingness where there was once chaos. I enjoy being active and busy -- it's what helps me to focus my mind. But on this day, at this time, my mind wants to check out completely. In some way, I rationalize this feeling as a correlation to what I think I 'should' be doing at this moment -- traveling on my own through Europe. It's May: the month that I devote to studying German in Vienna and travelling about. Maybe I really only have the mental and physical endurance to finish an 8-month academic year. Ten months is brutal. We start late, end late, and have little break time inbetween. This paragraph is losing its cohesiveness. I should quit while I'm somewhat ahead. Will have to formalize later...

No comments: