Sunday, April 19, 2009

Kann ich noch schreiben?

It's been nearly two months since I've properly posted. I try to convince myself that Twitter is a viable substitute, but those who actually follow this blog disagree.

Things in the kingdom are good, yet busy and hectic. I have found myself in the position that I always find myself after working someplace for more than a semester -- everyone wants a piece of me. Not in the sense of people threatening to fight me in the parking lot, of course, but in the sense of wanting my time. Whatever it is about me, people seem to be fond of me shortly after meeting me. Some say that it is the calm and collected manner I exhibit. Others say that it is the way I speak -- slowly, clearly, calmly. I think that it is, in comparison to others in my shared environment, that I just come off as being 'the nice one.'

Personality faces aside, I've already come to that point in my job where many people are asking me for advice, asking me to work on projects, and referring others to talk/meet/brainstorm with me to help troubleshoot issues -- both personal and professional. I ask myself, "How do I always find myself in this position?" Is it because I'm a good listener? Is it because I'm weak and have a hard time saying no to people when they ask me to help them? Is it because I try to leave my door open? I find it very fascinating that those who motherhenned me in September are now involving me in their professional decisions and practices. Until now, as a TA and a novice teacher, I've always been able to hedge on taking on long-term project responsibilities. With faculty demographics and retention as they are here, I can't fall on that crutch anymore. I have my experience and knowledge, and people want to tap into it. I feel honored; I feel accomplished; I feel nervous. I feel inklings of an over inflated head coming on...

No comments: