Monday, February 18, 2013

Camino de 31

08 February 2013

Walking.  It's what we take over a year struggling to do after we're born and yet something we take for granted afterwards. The logistics of how the neurons, bones, muscles, and inner ear work together to create fluid motion to propel us forward is certainly something to admire, and what better way to celebrate a birthday than by celebrating this miracle, as well as the miracles of nature? 

This year marks the second super long-distance birthday walk of my life.  By super long I mean that the distance covered in a single day equals the number of years I've completed on this year.  This year's objective: 31km.  

Below, I share with you photos of my walking companions on this long trek.  Their companionship and conversations provided social fuel for the walk.  The eight hours went by in a flash!

Leg One: Seeb Corniche; Time: 6am - 8.15am; Distance goal: 7km

Due to a malfunction on the part of my mobile phone, I didn't get the message that my upstairs neighbor, Eileen, wanted to ride with me to the 6am start.  Needless to say, I was alone in the first kilometer of the journey.  I'm so happy this was the case because it was completely dark at that time.  The only people around were some fishermen getting their boats ready to go out in the water.  Because of low tide and construction near our starting point, I had to climb over rocks on the beach in the dark until I was able to meet up with Marlee and Edward at 6.15am.  Eileen (such a trooper), biked the 10km from our apartment to the beach to catch up with us at 6.30am.  After nearly an hour of walking, the sun finally came up over the foothills of the Hajar mountains, lighting our way along the Gulf of Oman.  

Eileen, Marlee, and Edward (left to right)

Leg Two: Seeb Corniche; Time: 8.30am - 10.45am; Distance goal: 8km

Eileen continued with me for the next strectch.  Joining us were other colleagues from the university.  This part of the walk took us past the desalination plant, a house that looks like a boat, and the royal horse stables.  We couldn't have asked for better weather for the mid-morning.  There was a nice cool breeze along the way and wispy clouds great for cloud watching if conversations got into lulls.

Louise, Frith, Kim, Gretta, Heather, Keith, and Eileen (left to right)


Leg Three: Sultan Qaboos University Campus; Time: 12pm - 1:30pm; Distance: 6km (maybe 5)

I debated whether to do a mid-afternoon stretch since the temperature can be hot, even in the first week of February in the middle of the day.  However, the sun wasn't too bad with the wispy cloud coverage.  The walking route, led by Rachel, took us from the Main Library on the east end of campus, through the botanical garden in the center, rounding the west side of campus at College of Arts, looping past the boys' sports complex, going 'off pavement' through a shortcut to the Language Center, past the date palm garden, and returning back at the Main Library.  Walkers' ages varied from four months (well, he was pushed in the stroller) to early sixties.
Starting point: Covered curved walkway near the main library

The afternoon walkers near the College of Arts
Back: Mel, Eileen, Louise, and Sara (left to right)
Front: Liza, Rachel, Gretta, and Laila

Leg Four: Mutrah Corniche; Time: 5:30pm - 8:15pm; Distance: 11km

After a filling lunch at Turkish Palace and a short nap, Eileen and I headed to Mutrah (a nearly 35-minute drive from Seeb) for the last stretch.  We met up with two other colleagues and walking enthusiasts at the fish market and followed the bricked corniche past the old souq, Riyam park, the Muscat Gate Museum, and ended at His Majesty's palace in Mutrah.  Kathy walked 6km of the stretch.  Eileen, Keith, and I made it to the palace and finished the return.  At about the 27km mark, a taxi driver offered us a 2 Rial (a little over $5 USD) ride back to wherever we were coming from.  We declined and kept walking.  He was persistent, though, and caught up to us 100 meters later, offering to take us for 1.5 Rials.  This fare negotiation continued for another 100 meters when the driver finally realized we were actually interested in walking.  Had he continued being persistent and gone down to 1 Rial, I think Eileen would have taken him up on his offer just to not let such a good deal go to waste ;)  We celebrated the end of the walk with some coffee in fanjans.

How do you like your fishermen grilled?
Starting point: Restaurant across from the fish market at Mutrah Corniche

Eileen, Keith, and Kathy (left to right)
Looking towards the incense burner monument along Mutrah Corniche
At 23km and looking haggard ;)
Mutrah Harbor: The sun captures the cloud wisps at sunset.
Night shot at the palace in Mutrah.
I'm thankful to my colleagues for sticking out the long distances. Special props to Eileen for doing all legs and biking 10km on top of that.  I think what was most enjoyable for everyone was that the walk allowed us opportunities to get to know each other more. It was just us, the way, and no other distractions.  We could genuinely listen to each other and share memories and experiences from our lives.  

8 comments:

CricketPE said...

Wow, great job Monique!!!

Monique said...

Thanks, Patty! Any big plans for your upcoming 31?

Mel said...

It was a memorable day. Will think of you on your 32nd. My birthday will be much longer :)

Monique said...

Thanks for your comment, Mel. I think for your birthday, you could make the distances in half-kilometers ;)

Rosie said...

Love this idea, Monique! My favorite part of your story was the taxi driver...reminds me of being in China! Perhaps one year for your birthday we can do a hike through the Rockies - miss you!!
-Rosie

Monique said...

I like your Rockies idea, so let's do it! When were you visiting China?

Eileen said...

Thanks, Monique, for bringing us all together. It was a great day.

Rosie said...

I went to Beijing a couple times on business...I think 2009 and 2010. Some of the best trips of my life - worth a visit if you ever get the opportunity!