This week, my freshmen students learned the word whoops from their writing teacher. Since then, they've have been jumping at the chance to say the word in context whenever possible. I give you this week's learning in context outtakes:
Take One
Me: Please take out your Northstar book. Turn to page 7. Turn to page 7.
Students shuffle from their academic planners to their textbook. Majid is unsuccessful in shuffling, and his books fall off his desk onto the floor. The student next to him says, in a loud voice, "Whoops!"
Take Two
In the hallway of our classroom building, workers are running wire through the ceilings. From inside our classroom, we hear a small crash sound from the metal rods that the men have just dropped on the floor.
Monther: Whoops!
Abdullah: Whoops!
The whoopses spreads like popcorn with whoops kernels popping out of the boys' mouths. I cannot hold in my smile, and so I simply confirm with them: "Yes, 'Whoops!'"
Take Three
My classroom comes equipped with a desk-mounted computer and ceiling-mounted projector so that I can display images, write notes in Word, etc. The grammar focus is should/must, and I've just told my students that I got fired from the university for giving them Fs on all of their mid-term writing exams, and that the Language Centre has asked them what kind of new teacher they want to replace me. As they give their suggestions, I touch-type the sentence in Word so that they can see the repetition of the form.
Our new teacher must be American or British.
Our new teacher must be patient.
Our new teacher much be educated.
Our new teacher should be --
Student 1: Miss! Mistake.
Me: What?
Student 1: teacher must be educated
I look up at what I'm writing and see my spelling mistake. I make a clicking sound with my teeth on the side of my mouth to show disapproval of myself for making a spelling error.
Student 2: Whoops!
Student 1: Whoops!
Me: Whoops!
Take One
Me: Please take out your Northstar book. Turn to page 7. Turn to page 7.
Students shuffle from their academic planners to their textbook. Majid is unsuccessful in shuffling, and his books fall off his desk onto the floor. The student next to him says, in a loud voice, "Whoops!"
Take Two
In the hallway of our classroom building, workers are running wire through the ceilings. From inside our classroom, we hear a small crash sound from the metal rods that the men have just dropped on the floor.
Monther: Whoops!
Abdullah: Whoops!
The whoopses spreads like popcorn with whoops kernels popping out of the boys' mouths. I cannot hold in my smile, and so I simply confirm with them: "Yes, 'Whoops!'"
Take Three
My classroom comes equipped with a desk-mounted computer and ceiling-mounted projector so that I can display images, write notes in Word, etc. The grammar focus is should/must, and I've just told my students that I got fired from the university for giving them Fs on all of their mid-term writing exams, and that the Language Centre has asked them what kind of new teacher they want to replace me. As they give their suggestions, I touch-type the sentence in Word so that they can see the repetition of the form.
Our new teacher must be American or British.
Our new teacher must be patient.
Our new teacher much be educated.
Our new teacher should be --
Student 1: Miss! Mistake.
Me: What?
Student 1: teacher must be educated
I look up at what I'm writing and see my spelling mistake. I make a clicking sound with my teeth on the side of my mouth to show disapproval of myself for making a spelling error.
Student 2: Whoops!
Student 1: Whoops!
Me: Whoops!
No comments:
Post a Comment