Sunday, May 15, 2011

Oh-oh-oh: The sweetest students

This week marks the last week of teaching for the 2010-2011 academic year at the language center where I teach. The year has gone by fast here in Oman, and I cannot help but foresee that I'll experience pangs of homesickness for my students once I'm on annual leave this summer. I look forward to being with my family in a little less than two weeks. Yet, as a singleton in my current environment, I cannot help but feel that my students have become my younger brothers and sisters, filling up the lonely parts of my heart. I share with you some wonderful moments from the past few weeks:

On finding out that I'm not married:

'Khalid' - Miss, are you married?

Me: (holding up my hands, palms facing inwards) Does it look like I'm married?

Khalid - We do not wear rings here.

Me: Really?! I see many people with rings, though.

'Khamis' - No, Miss. Not all. In our area, people don't wear wedding rings. Not like in your culture.

Me: Well, it's not really my culture, either.

Khamis - What? But on television...

Me: Well, in general American culture, yes. But my family's history from before, rings aren't necessary. (to Khalid) Why do you want to know if I'm married?

Khalid - How old are you, Miss?

Me: 29

Khalid - You surprise us. You look 22, 23. You are older, but you look like us. We think you are like us. That's why I ask if you are married. If you are young, we don't think you are married.



On discussing two colleague's upcoming marriage:

'Yasser' - It is good that Mr. C marries Ms. A. It's good 'cause he is bigger.

Me: He's older, yes.

Yasser - This is good thing in our culture.

Me: I see. And what else is good for a couple in Omani culture?

Yasser - People must be good and come from good family. Also, ______ is important.

Me: ______? What is _______?

Yasser: The family.

Me: You mean the tribe?

Yasser: Wait, Miss. (Checks dictionary in cell phone) Blood. The word is blood. Must have similar blood (points to skin). Similar color is important. Not too dark.

Me: Ah, I see. Not blood, skin color. You mean similar skin color in the tribe?

The conversation continues and confirms what upper-level students explained to me from before, that it is allowable for an Omani man to marry an Omani woman from a different tribe that may have darker skin (note: darker skin meaning a more pronounced 'African bloodline' than an 'Arab bloodline'). However, it is not favorable for an Omani man who has darker skin to marry an Omani woman from a different tribe with fairer skin. The conversation started in the hallway while the student was going to pray. To wrap up the conversation, I said to him, "Well, I'll let you get to the prayer room. I've got to meet this colleague." I point to the door we're standing in front of to indicate whom.

Yasser: Ah, okay. Will you come to pray, too?

Me: Yes, I will pray, but after, and not in the prayer room.

Yasser: Yes, your prayer is different.

Me: In a way, yes.

Yasser: I hope that you pray like us, like Muslim. I invite you.

Me: You invite me?

Yasser: I invite you to become Muslim, to also wear...(makes a hand gesture of covering one's hair).

Me: Thank you, Yasser. Do you have a Qu'ran that you can give me?

Yasser: (looking startled) Yes, but in Arabic. But I will find one with English, to invite you.



On baby shower invitations:

'Mahd' - On either 25 or 26 of month five, come to Sohar. My family want for you to come to Sohar. Because my brother have baby soon.

Me: Ah! Mashallah! Congratulations to your brother.

Mahd - Thank you, Miss. We have party on this day. My brother say to me, "Invite your teacher. Invite your Miss." My family want you to come.

Me: Wow! How very nice of him and your family. (looking at my desk calendar) Okay, let me write this down. Baby party. Mahd's brother. Sohar. Which day? Wednesday or Thursday?

Mahd - I have Math exam on 25, so Thursday. Come on Thursday.

Me: Okay. What time?

Mahd - As you like.

Me: Mahd! I can't just come whenever I like. It's a party. When should I come? In morning or evening?

Mahd - In evening. Afternoon is too hot.

Me: After magrib?

Mahd - Yes. After magrib.

Me: Okay. After magrib. Should I cover or not cover? ('cover' meaning here that I should wear an abaya and hijab).

Mahd - Cover. My family more relaxed if you cover.

Me: (laugh) Okay. Cover.


On sweet text messages from former students:

LOOK,,, The moon is calling u
See,,, The stars are shining for u
Lesten,,,The bird are singing to u
Hear,,My heart says imiss u



Even though the past weeks have been fraught with major projects and tests, boiling heat in the afternoons, and students feeling pooped out for most of the day, I appreciate these interactive moments with students. I feel blessed to be able to teach a student population that is so sincere, curious, and welcoming.

No comments: