Sunday, February 27, 2011

Today's Notice from the US Embassy

This is what I received today in my Gmail inbox courtesy of the US Embassy in Muscat, Oman. I pray that my students from Sohar are well. Initial reaction to this news, though, was "Do I have enough money to buy a ticket home if need be?"

The U.S. Embassy Cautions U.S. Citizens to Avoid Travel to Sohar and Demonstrations throughout the Sultanate of Oman

The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens in Oman to avoid travel to Sohar due to recent demonstrations. Unconfirmed media reports indicate that there have been injuries, property damage and at least one fatality in Sohar since the demonstrations started on February 26. Roads into and out of Sohar are reportedly closed at this time.
Several websites are posting calls for possible demonstrations and protests throughout the Sultanate of Oman over the next several days. The Embassy urges U.S. citizens to review their personal plans and remain alert to their surroundings at all times. Travelers should avoid areas of planned demonstrations and be aware that spontaneous demonstrations can occur anywhere on short notice. If caught unexpectedly near a demonstration, obey instructions from police and leave the area as quickly as possible. U.S. citizens should stay current on local events and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Consult the U.S. Department of State's Country Specific Information on Oman as well as the Department of State's recently issued Worldwide Caution regarding recommended security practices.

2 comments:

CricketPE said...

So do you have enough for a ticket home? Because I bet you've got a bunch of friends (us included) who would help so you get home safely if needed!

Monique said...

Hi, Patty. Sorry that I'm just now reading your comment. I got my February pay last Wednesday evening and have since transfered it successfully to the States. I have enough money for a ticket home if that becomes the case. I'm still optimistic that things will settle down soon, but the US Consulate in Muscat sent out a new warden message to advise people about the planned protests in Muscat this Friday. Ugh.