Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New year, new feelings of overwhelmentations...


...and yes, I'm submitting this adjective-turned noun lexical hybrid to the OED in the hopes of giving myself some credit and credibility.

2010 has, thankfully, closed its final page and has been placed on my life's bookshelf, filed under 'L' for "life-altering" and cross referenced with "demoralizing," "hellacious," and "blessedly educational." On this year's desk, a new ink blotter and scroll sit primly perched and vast, challenging 2011 to fills its spaces with just as much, if not greater, adventure, intrigue, laughter, poignancy, love, and surreal moments as 2010's thickly bound volume.

My proposed outline for 2011 includes:

1. Finding quiet time with God every day
2. Reading my great uncle's book on Midwestern Mennonite life at the turn of the 20th century.
3. Bettering my Arabic; bettering my German
4. Taking a one-hour walk every day
5. Responding to personal e-mails in a more timely manner
6. Writing a poem every week
7. Keeping a notebook with memorable lines from the fiction books that I read so that I can beg, borrow, and 'steal' lines for my own writing
8. Purchase new windows and doors for the house

The list, of course, is longer in my mind than I have courage to type. As I think of the things I aspire to work on for this year in a new decade, I feel greatly overwhelmed.

Lord, I ask you to give me the strength, endurance, and knowledge needed to tackle these objectives. I know in my heart that if most of these objectives are met, I will have developed a firm foundation for 2012 and be capable of tackling the work that you have in store for me. Today's coffeemaker purchase will not have been in vain ;)

No comments: