The Women's Fellowship at the Protestant Church of Oman put on a wonderful Christmas bazaar yesterday. Inside the small fellowship hall, there were nearly 40 tables with women and families selling their spectacular handicrafts and not-so-authentically handmade wares. Proceeds from the bazaar went to a local charity (women's shelter, migrant worker aid, etc.). I splurged a little too much on some of the handmade Christmas cards, but I ignored this purchasing outburst since the small sum of money I spent (in comparison to others) is going to help good causes.
Things I was able to pick up include:
- Felt ornaments (stars, a snowman, a reindeer, a stocking, and a tree)
- Ceramic ornaments (4 khanjars and an Arabic coffee pot)
- 15 handmade Christmas cards
- 4 calendars (Yes, birds and camels of Oman ;) )
- a biodegradable bag to put all of my teaching supplies in
- some handicrafts made from kummahs (the hats that Omani men wear)
What really impressed me was the musical acts peppered throughout the bazaar operating hours. The local American high school had a small brass ensemble playing traditional hits, a young Indian couple sang "Mary Did You Know?", and this FABULOUS quartet of Filipinas sang some secular songs. R, my adopted mother here in Oman, and I sat in the front row of chairs, basking in the music. For an hour, it felt like any other Christmas bazaar, only it was 30 degrees C outside.
Every Friday, the fellowship and I pray for His Majesty, Sultan Qaboos. We really appreciate that he lets us have buildings to worship and fellowship in. During this Advent season, His presence is really felt by the whole fellowship. Sometimes, I think the fervor and excitement that we all have will burst into a million tinsel strands. May he continue to reign for years to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment