
When it comes time for students to use modals to offer advice, I like to give students a short advice letter writing assignment. The premise is that I have this really geeky brother named Roger (see picture) who is going to have dinner with this girl way out of his league. I ask the students to write Roger a short letter, giving him advice on how to prepare for his date.
When I had my Saudi (aged 17 - 20) girls do this assignment, they mostly focused on what Roger should do physically to prepare for the date. Most of them suggested that Roger get braces to fix his buck teeth, get a hair cut, lose his eye glasses and opt for contact lenses, change his clothes for new ones, get a nose job, and hit up the gym.
In giving this assignment to my Omani boys (aged 17 - 19), what surprised me is that they didn't focus too much on advising Roger about his physicality. Rather, they focused on how he should present himself (confident, smart, elegant), display good manners (say nice things to her), play along with stereotypical dating conventions (offering flowers, gifts, choosing a good restaurant), and what to say. I leave you with this very charming letter from one of my Omani students this past semester:
Dear Roger,
I hare that you are going to dinner on Thursday. Let me give you some advice for your ladylove.
First, you should take agood flower for her. You should be polite to love you. Also, try not to be stupid when you meet her. Moreover, you shouldn't wear old clothes. She wants your smell very good to hate [word choice error here] you.
Remember that she is afamous and pretty woman at University. When you speak her, tell her "you want to take her hand" Also, tell her you love her. If she has any problems help her to like you behavior and love very much.
Please,, try not to be worry and nerves.
Student A
Here are some other endearing nuggets of wisdom from other students:
Student B: First, you should be elegant. Second, you must change your clothes and wear fitted clothes for dinner. Also you should splash a good perfume on your clothes.
Student C: Give your love a gift. Shose [Choose] a spicial word for her. You should be realistic when you talk with your love. Make a strong personality. Lastly don't brag about yourself to her.
Student D: You shouldn't take abook, but you should take a flower or gift. When you see you love, you should kiss your love. [According to this student, he thought of the tip on kissing one's love from Tyra Banks from the Oprah show!!! I have no idea what a 19 year-old Arab boy is doing watching Oprah...different strokes, I guess.]
Student E: Dont forget to treat your madam at a big restaurant.
Student F: give her some poetrys don't be fool at dinner, you should fix you body, when will take her you have to be romance. when will kiss her be quiet. I hope to get her. good luck in first dinner
And my personal favorite...
Student G: Try not to say her name you should say "my love" or my sweetie.
No comments:
Post a Comment