Thanks to ac, a former colleague of mine, I've gotten into the habit of requiring students to complete a leaner biography as their first homework assignment for me at the beginning of any class that I teach. This semester, I'm teaching Beginner-level for all skills, plus study skills. As the last question on the learner biography, I invite the students to tell me something I should know about them. Normally, students give a standard answer of "I like learning English," or "I'm a good student," etc. This time, however, I was completely shocked at the level of expressiveness and humor that came out of this question. I share with you these select gems. Please keep in mind that these are mostly 18 year-old Omani young gentlemen.
Student 1: I like the teacher who gave me many adivse to improve my level. I don't like the student who make noisy in the classroom. [This student is moderately noisy himself.]
Student 2: I don't like to see you angery, because I feel bad feeling.
Student 3: 1) I can READ but whene I READ I don't understand what READ it. 2) I bon't anderstand whene some one speek whith me!!! 3) Whene you will come to my city call me I will show you my city!!! if you nee any halp 98******!!!
Student 4: I wants to be in futuer aman he can do anthing that be good for my home. Im a beauty boy
Student 5: I drive a car tow years ago.
Student 6: I don't like shopping and I don't like swimming. [I'm with you on the first one, brother.]
And my personal favorite...
Student: I like clumping [climbing], reading, and swimming. I don't have a girlfriend. That's a goods nat [not] bad.
******
On a side note, I left a space for them to tell me what they would like me to call them in class (I have 4 Mohammeds in one class). One requested to be called "Brigadier of the Weak People." I'm not going to call him this, but I'm impressed he knows the military title of brigadier.
I love these students!
No comments:
Post a Comment