While at the copy machine today, I briefly asked a colleague if she knew of any intensive Arabic summer programs in Tunisia, as I'm trying to research some programs for possibilities of study next summer. I made the slight mistake of also mentioning that I was going to visit the Discover Islam center in Manama this coming weekend to see what kind of programs they offer. She immediately said to me, "What kind of books do they use? I'm curious to know, because it's very important that they have the right books."
Now, at this point, I think that she is concerned with the value of the language books; however, this is not the case. I'm 95% sure that Discover Islam teaches Arabic classes with Qu'ran and hadiths as the curriculum, something I'm not really looking for, but it's a standard Arabic and religion does have a lot of influence on the language and how people exchange with one another linguistically -- essentially, there's something to learn. My colleague's main concern about the books is whether Discover Islam has a Sunni or Shia curriculum. As she said, "Because there are a lot of Shia in Bahrain and you might get some incorrect information."
It was the end of the day, and I still needed to shut down my computer, so I tried to end the conversation in communicating that the point of my visit on Thursday was to see what kind of books they have. The conversation, though, continued during our walk down to my office and went on until my office neighbor (who was eavesdropping on our conversation) called me on my office phone to give me an "out" to the discussion, which was quickly approaching in a direction that was making me uncomfortable.
Things learned from today's exchange:
1. Don't start conversations in the copy room with, "So I'm going to Discover Islam this weekend to do some reconnaissance on language programs."
2. Some folks view Islam, of the three religions with a 'holy book,' to be the most logical and, therefore, correct. Things that cannot be explained are miracles.
3. Some believers hold very strong views on the "waywardness" of different methhabs.
4. My polite listening may be misinterpreted as acknowledgement and keen interest in becoming Muslim.
This exchange with my colleague spilled over into a conversation with my driver about my own prejudices/stereotypes that I hold towards various denominations in Christianity. He asked me, "What do you think is wrong about Catholics?" My reply was, "I can't say that they are wrong. I just don't believe entirely what they believe." But at a deep mental level, isn't that what all of my religious identity crises boil down to -- my fear that what if I wake up tomorrow morning and I realize that all that I've come to learn and experience as truth is really a facade?
No comments:
Post a Comment