Saturday, February 27, 2010

Habe ich mich verhunzt?

What would you sacrifice in order to gain a good education?

As an elitist idealist, I would say "Nothing! Never give up, never surrender! Education is a right to be pursued by those willing to work hard and participate in the never-ending expansion of shared knowledge. Sacrifice has nothing to do with education."

The reality is, I would somewhat sacrifice myself to gain a good education. For the sake of improving my ability to read aloud in Arabic, I have broken down and asked a male colleague, who is VERY knowledgeable about Classical Arabic, to help me read aloud once a week. I'm playing with fire, here, in that I am a poetic muse for said person. The poetic style that I "inspire," for sure, gives Lord Byron indigestion from its sappy romanticism.

Here's my strategy for my literacy lessons:

1. Meet in a public place (Curse you, Saudi for not having public libraries like "normal" sovereign nations!)
2. Set up clear boundaries of appropriateness in speech and actions
3. Bring a mini-pillow as a back-up buffer, yet cite it as a back support supplement
4. Keep sharpened pencils at a close distance in case needed as an eye gauger

Something interesting to note about my Arabic-learning experience: finding people who can really understand فصحى and aren't complete loons or get their residency visas revoked are hard to come by...

2 comments:

CricketPE said...

LOL, oh my...good luck! When will you be back in the States? It has been far too long since I've hung out with you and Harger together (I don't even remember the last time I saw him!)

Monique said...

Harger is always the elusive one, isn't he. I think that the last time we hung out together was at my apartment in East Lansing -- the time that you and Troy drove all the way from Ann Arbor for just short evening visit. It may or may have not been a pre-post birthday get together for me. Or for Harger -- I'm a bit spotty on the details. I just remember it being winter...