It was my seventh grade English teacher who inspired me to watch an episode of X-Files for the first time. For rest of the late 90s and through the brief season with the Mulder replacement, this show was my Friday (later Sunday) carrot on a stick. I recall this one episode in which a town experienced strange weather patterns. With Scully and Mulder on the case, they discovered that the emotions of one man controlled the freakish weather patterns. His pining over a woman he loved manifested into hail storms, snow in the summer, and drought.
Last week, Khobar experienced two days of hard rain, followed by two days' respite, then again heavy rain yesterday. As I rode home on the bus during yesterday afternoon's downpour, fascinated by the color of the sky -- almost a sepia tone through the tinted bus windows -- I thought to myself, what if my emotions were controlling the weather here in the region? Are the droplets bathing the bus a manifestation of the torrential thoughts turning in my head? Is the lightening a visual aesthetic to the sudden bursts of insight I'm gaining through this time of pain and self-reflection? Is the thunder an articulation of my exasperation? Contained inside the chattering capsule that is the bus, I was protected from my manifestation of emotions. I found it somewhat poignant and calming to imagine myself as a fishbowl observer of my feelings, barreling down the highways of the Eastern Province, breaking through the torrents and chaos...
1 comment:
I recall an episode with a person on a squeaky wheely thing. I hate that show.
Post a Comment