Tuesday, August 18, 2009

FBC success, Green River failure

Spent an enjoyable time this morning sampling music at Barnes and Noble. An interesting observation that I made regarding B&N employees: some are real book rock stars (jovial, willing to share small anecdotes about the items one purchases while punching the buttons on the register) while others are socially awkward smuggies (ones who spent WAAAAAY too much time as public librarians and now have to deal with a different type of clientel). This morning's cashier -- a real smuggy who made me feel that she thought I am an inept shopper (which I am) for attempting to purchase CDs outside of the B&N CD area and had to use my previous cell phone number to look up my rewards card membership.

In any respect, things picked up at Flat, Black & Circular about 15 minutes later. The main gentleman with the button-down Jimmy Buffet-esque shirts was working. He's very friendly and knows a TON about music. I appreciated that he was very thorough in locating the The Tindersticks disc that I wanted to purchase. The discs weren't labeled that clearly, and so he put my disc in the player so I could tell whether it was the correct disc or not. Such service! Also picked up the most recent Modest Mouse album. Found out about this release this morning via NPR's All Songs Considered Twitter post. I have no idea what it's going to sound like. Hope to not be disappointed by having no expectations for the disc.

In non-music-related news, my attempt to have some soup at Green River Cafe was squelched by the fact that the cafe isn't there any more. Am completely shocked about this, as it was a very instrumental study and work space for me during my second year of grad school. They may have moved the restaurant elsewhere, though...must investigate.

No comments: