Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ich liebe tuerkische Seifenoper!


It's official -- I'm HIGHLY intrigued by the Turkish soap opera line up that MBC has been broadcasting. For one, unlike American soap operas, these dramas move quickly. In the one I watched this evening, there was a wedding and a funeral -- for the same person -- within five minutes!

Additionally, I can't get enough of the male waterworks. The actors' Tim Burton eyes, red and bloodshot from excessive weeping, bring a smile to my face. Ultimately, I should feel a twinge of compassion for their pain, but the overdramatics make me giggle.

To give you an idea of the plotlines, in the episode of "And So Life Goes" that I watched this evening, a male character, Ali, is in the middle of his wedding when his bride, who was shot in the head in an earlier episode, freaks out when she sees the man who shot her walk through the wedding hall. Conveniently, there is a spiral staircase in this wedding hall and Lina, the bride, runs up the staircase in high heels and flowing wedding dress until she reaches the roof. Ali, of course, chases after her and tries to coach her out of throwing herself off the roof of the wedding hall. Lina's emotions are too great, and she jumps from the roof, leaving Ali to wail after her. Five seconds later, the scene switches to Lina's parents' house, where the guests are divided by gender and participating in a funeral reception for Lina. Lina's mother begins to wail uncontrollably. The women attempt to comfort her, but she unleashes her grief by throwing Ali out of the house, blaming him for the death of her daughter (how this is so, I'm not sure -- my Arabic isn't good enough and I don't have previous episode experience). He, of course, takes off to the hills on his motorbike, a female guest from the funeral party chasing after him in her expensive Audi. He, too, attempts to surrender to death by jumping off of a cliff, but ends up not jumping. It is in this moment, though, that it is revealed that when he was a child, he witnessed a friend commit suicide by jumping off of a building. He feels guilt for both that young boy's death and Lina's death. SOOOOOO dramatic. I just love it, love it, love it! I can't wait for more rampant male tears.

No comments: