Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ich habe gewaehlt!

For the past two weeks, I've been dreading the fact that I would be disenfranchised from this year's presidential election since it was taking a long time to receive my absentee ballot. There are, of course, fax options for expat voters, but the fax machines at the school only do domestic faxes. Since I'm at work 10 hours each day during the week, it's really hard to get anything done unless it's the weekend. Thanks be to God that I finally received my ballot two days ago at work. Ausgezeichnet!

At the moment, I'm using the Internet at Dessert Designs furniture store/cafe. They had their cafe opening last week, and I must say that it is absolutely fantastic. The Internet is easy to log onto, the ambience is an intriguing mellow Arabian lounge feel -- subdued Middle-eastern electronica satelitte radio, bench couches, and dozens of throw pillows. All of this has helped to create an optimal voting atmosphere for me while I fill out my absentee ballot. My only frustration is that I wasn't able to find a good website that offers candidate information for the local, state, and national level candidates. Michigan.gov lists all of the candidates, but the links for the candidates goes to that candidate's website -- not really objective. I tried Google searches on the individual candidates who are running in Berrien country, but was unsuccessful. Isn't there any organization out there willing to compile candidate information in an aesthetically pleasing spreadsheet with an unbiased approach? Perhaps there is, but I just can't be bothered to wade through the Net right now.

In any respect, I've voted on the most important items on the ballot -- proposals and the presidential choice. My next step is to go to FedEx on Saturday to send off my vote. I pray for the safe travel of my ballot and am thankful that I haven't been disenfranchised in this election. If you haven't been able to vote yet, I encourage you to get out and exercise your voice.

1 comment:

CricketPE said...

I'm glad it all worked out! I'm an idiot and didn't realize that my voter registration didn't transfer when I moved so I don't think I can vote :( I got the reminder to register in the mail AFTER the deadline has passed because it took so long to be forwarded to my new address. Speaking of addresses....do you have a mailing address?