Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ich warte weiter

As of midnight tonight, I will officially have been in Manama for one full week. During this time, I've seen a lot of places on the island, met some colleagues, and have gone swimming -- a lot.

We had hoped to have been able to go to KSA yesterday; however, our GROs didn't have enough money to do so -- not sure what that means. I understand that inshallah is very much a part of the mindset and culture, but I'm increasingly finding it difficult to be patient when I feel that the will of God is not keeping me here, but the choices that our GROs are making. With that said, I hope to leave for KSA today. If it does not happen, then it means one more day at the hotel and the chance to spend time with E. tonight. Her flight from Amsterdam comes in late tonight. It will be good to see a familiar face and be able to have a conversation with someone I trust completely.

Yesterday wasn't too exciting. I walked to the mosque and library to take outside shot photos of these two immaculate buildings. The rest of the day was spent either swimming or sleeping. I played with J.'s children yesterday. They've taken a liking to SET, although I haven't taught them how to play it properly. I don't expect a 3 year-old and 4 year-old to get the matching difference, yet similarities bit, so we've just been laying the entire deck out on the table and then finding cards that are completely similar, with the exception of number. It's worked out pretty well and has helped them learn their shapes, colors, shadings, and numbers.

A new colleague, Ju. arrived last night. Had the chance to talk to him over a late dinner last night. Turns out that he was in the military for a while and is a certified real estate appraiser. With the U.S. housing market in the pit that it's in, he's sought employment elsewhere. He taught in Oman before this, so the Middle East is not new to him. I hope that his med check works out today and that our GROs come to collect his documents today so that he can be processed in a much more timelier way than we were.

Prayers of patience. Prayers of gratitude.

2 comments:

CricketPE said...

For those of us not in the know, what is a GRO?

Monique said...

GRO is government relations officer.