What I like about attending church services in the evening time is that I get the opportunity to watch NBC's "Meet the Press" (rest in peace, Tim Russert -- you were my all-time favorite political commentary mediator) and ABC News' "This Week" round table with Stephanopoulos. What I like about these two shows is that a hodgepodge handful of political analysts and press editors gather around a table and discuss/argue the political grudges of the week. This week's political fodder: the Democratic National Convention in Denver, CO and Obama's VP pick of Senator Biden. Let the games begin!
While watching the shows yesterday morning, I noticed a number of idiomatic quips that Cokie Roberts and the other commentators seem to seemlessly elicit from their mouths. I will share two with you now:
Paul commenting on Obama's pick of Biden: "He's [Obama] got a kangaroo ticket -- the back legs are stronger than the front."
This idiom, I believe, ranks right up there with any Dan Ratherism around. The imagery of this idiom swiftly and unerringly meets it's point, but leaves you breathless just enough to wonder if he's attacking Obama or telling it like it is.
Cokie Roberts commenting on McCain's post-Biden pick campaign strategy: "They're trying to get Hillary supporters 'ginned up.'"
What the heck does 'ginned up' imply? Revved up? As in "engined up"? Or like the beverage? Is McCain trying to make Hillary supporters sloppy as they go to vote? Comments as to the true meaning of this idiom are welcomed.
Although, I've always been a fan of the McLaughlin Group (as my father refers to it: "The Gong Show") despite McLaughlin's overbearing opinions,(I respect that he gets the discussions moving with his machine gun firing round robin style), I'm becoming more of a fan of the commercial network political roundtables. I can't wait to see what next week's commentary will offer with regard to poetical quips.
No comments:
Post a Comment