Saturday, July 26, 2008

SLI ist fertig


Yesterday was my last day teaching at the Summer Language Institute. After spending a lot of time writing individual letters to students, I didn't have much time to plan the last session, so I had students do some chain writing to each other (put your name on a piece of paper, pass it to the person next to you. With the new piece of paper, write something you like about that person or something you'll miss about them after, fold that message up, then pass it on to the person on the left, repeat, repeat, repeat until you get your paper back, unfold it, then you have all of these good messages from other people).

Then we played animal rhythms until the break. After the break, as I was beginning to present to the students their published writing collection and letters, a student shouted out to the class: everyone stand up. They all did and I asked: "What's going on?" They then formally thanked me and presented me with a tree cake (a cake made on a spit) and a picture book about the Baltic shore of Lithuania, a book about Lithuanian traditions and customs, and some chocolate. I couldn't handle the gesture, so the waterworks just started to pour out, which prompted half of the class to cry as well. I was then able to give each student a good hug and take pictures with those who wanted a photo. After that, I presented them with their letters, which they greatly appreciated and caused even more tears. At that time, their afternoon teachers came in and we were able to present to them their certificates and take more photos. There was really no point in keeping them penned up in our swamp of a classroom, so we went outside to take pictures and listen to Matthew, one of the Polish students, play guitar for us. The picture on this post is my morning class.

It was a very emotional day for everyone yesterday. I'm glad that I didn't decide to fly out until Tuesday. After working really hard over the past weeks and coping with the long daylight, it feels good to sleep in, take in the Sea Festival here in Klaipeda, and enjoy the beach. In about an hour, some colleagues and I will head to the Spit to lay with our back on the sand and our bellies absorbing the sun. I hope the water is warm enough for swimming. If not, it will just be like swimming in Lake Superior in summer.

While I am eager to return home next week, I don't feel as if my work in Lithuania is done. Now that I feel like I have a better handle on the ways and whys of this country, I'm packing up and moving on, for at least two years. I enjoyed my time here at SLI and hope that I can come back to continue to serve through teaching.

No comments: